History of Rainy River ECC

The present Evangelical Covenant Church (pic) had it’s start over 60 yrs.
ago when in 1943 Vivian Smith acting upon the encouragement of the Covenant churches of Fort Frances and Baudette was able to organize a local group in Rainy River. This small company, just seven in number, met in a private home. At that time the Northwest Mission Association of the Evangelical Covenant Church of America took official responsibility and support. In 1944 the group rented a building on Main Street where Sunday School was held weekly and Vivian’s Bible School in the summers. Some financial assistance was also obtained from two Minneapolis churches. In 1946 the Evangelical Covenant Church of Rainy River was ordained with 13 charter members. The present church building was purchased and dedicated in 1965. It has continued to grow in members and programs.